Richard is certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and has tried jury and non-jury cases throughout the state of Texas since 1981. He has a national ADA and FHA defense practice that includes defending real estate developers, retailers, restaurants, shopping centers, banks, apartment owners and managers, hotels, single family developers and other enterprises in ADA and FHA litigation. Richard also frequently consults on ADA and FHA compliance issues and presents webinars and seminars on avoiding and winning ADA and FHA lawsuits. He is an adjunct professor in Disability Law at the SMU Dedman School of Law, and his blog, “Accessibility Defense” serves as a resource nation-wide for hundreds of attorneys, accessibility experts and others involved in ADA and FHA litigation. In addition to his work on ADA and FHA accessibility issues Richard represents clients in disputes covering the entire spectrum of business related litigation including:
- Prosecution and defense of claims arising out of non-competition agreements and theft of trade secrets.
- Prosecution and defense of claims for defamation, libel and slander.
- Prosecution and defense of claims for trademark infringement, copyright violations and theft of trade secrets.
- Prosecution and defense of claims related to the sale and financing of real estate acquisitions, including brokerage disputes.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Dallas Bar Association, Business Litigation
- French-American Chamber of Commerce, Dallas/Fort Worth Chapter
- State Bar of Texas
Awards & Honors
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2004, 2013 through 2018
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
Recent Articles & Presentations
- May 2019 – “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them – Animals and Disability Law” University of Texas CLE Program.
- May 2019 – “Snakes on a Plane – Understanding Service Animals and the ADA for the Security Summit of the International Shopping Center Association.
- March 2019 – “ADA Website Litigation” North Dallas Bar Association
- October 2018 – “Turning Failure into Success – What to do when mediation fails.” Dallas Bar Association Headnotes.
- September 2019 – “ADA Website Litigation” University of Texas CLE Program.
- January 2018 – “Get it Right the First Time – Dealing with Animal Accommodation Requests” – private client webinar.
- October 2017 – “Everything you need to know about the ADA in 45 minutes,” Dallas Bar Association Solo and Small Practice section
- September 2017 – “Get it Right the First Time – Dealing with Animal Accommodation Requests” – public webinar.
- August 2017 – “Fair Housing Act Basics,” client continuing education presentation.
- April 2017 – “Lawyers, Clients and the ADA” Fort Worth Bar Association Real Estate Section.
- March 2017 – “You and the ADA” Dallas Bar Association Real Estate Section.
- February 2017 – “Understanding the Fair Housing Act” – private client webinar.
- October 2016 – “DIY ADA Compliance” – Dairy Queen Operators Association
- October 2016 – “Law Firms and the ADA – Private Firms are Public Accommodations” Dallas Bar Association Headnotes.
- September 2016 – “Basic Fair Housing Act Training.” Private webinar for managers and officers of property management company.
- August 2016 – “ADA web litigation threats.” private webinar for clients of a web design vendor.
- July 2016 – “Phoney Business – dealing with FHA telephone ‘testers’” public webinar
- June 2016 – “Avoiding ADA Lawsuits, a DIY Guide” public webinar
- May 2016 – “ADA for Mediators” seminar for the Alternate Dispute Resolution section of the Dallas Bar Association.
- April 2016 – “Just Say No to Bogus ESA Requests” public webinar.
- March 2016 – “Current ADA and FHA issues for municipalities” presented to the office of the City Attorney for Dallas, Texas.
- February 2016 – “Dealing with deaf and hearing enabled tenants” private client webinar
- January 2016 – “ADA and the Internet, Shelter from the Storm” public webinar
- January 2016 – “Drive-by Litigation” presentation to a private group of restauranteurs in Midland, Texas.
- September 2015 – “Ethical and Legal Obligations of Local Counsel,” Dallas Bar Association Headnotes
- The University of Texas School of Law, Juris Doctor
Graduated with Honors
- Rice University, Bachelor of Arts – Graduated magna cum laude